Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2016 21:15:26 +0200
From:      Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic@gmail.com>
To:        Carsten Larsen <cs@innolan.dk>, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>, =?UTF-8?Q?Romain_Tarti=c3=a8re?= <romain@blogreen.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net
References:  <CABx9NuSwbf2jwyqcGNGeyWjJ4pbVFmCiGO=i172UDFy2=yGPOw@mail.gmail.com> <20160628094307.bepxy46dp5igizeh@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net> <CABx9NuTPgGqansvnFNxRUhsagh3x=o4W7%2B7UUxORkGpzZVTJUA@mail.gmail.com> <1526452.AT2qT6pE07@dragon.local> <20160629195854.4698194.67297.7966@gmail.com> <CABx9NuQrDjqr2rUDsLY7g7fVO1b-3o_=SLR5A0FAYbt37K3t-Q@mail.gmail.com> <577BCCE9.10504@gmail.com> <577BF87C.5030907@innolan.dk>

On 07/05/2016 20:12, Carsten Larsen wrote:
> ON 05-07-2016 kl. 17:06 Ivan Radovanovic wrote:
>>
>> All mono tests pass (running gmake check), but those related to profiler
>> (they segfault in native code - I am planning to investigate that
>> further).

This is actually not true, because of little bit of healthy paranoia I
had tests running dozen times or so, one of them is crashing at random
times (pinvoke3 - this is big one using lot of native functions,
probably it will be difficult to trace down).

> The fork in github.com/FreeBSD-DotNet/mono made by Russ is forked
> directly from master. Its not really a candidate for merging.
>
> If you would like to push those changes to
> github.com/FreeBSD-DotNet/mono you would first need to make your own
> user of github. With this user you can fork mono again and then clone
> you own mono repository to you local PC. Transfer your changes this this
> local repository and commit at usual.
>
> Or Russ could make a new fork on github  equivalent to:
> git clone -b mono-4.4.0-branch https://github.com/mono/mono.git

I think this setup we are after has to provide two things for us:

1. us to be able to easily keep and maintain set of patches we need to
make FreeBSD first class mono platform (ie us doing programming)

2. to be able to easily pull and merge changes done by upstream (ie to
benefit from somebody else doing programming)

I know if I run my repository with 2 remotes I can easily pull from one
and push (and pull) to the other (obviously one to only pull from would
be mono), but what confuses me now is if the fact that this repository
Russ created is in fact forked from that same mono changes something or
not? (maybe we can use only that repository without having 2 remotes in
local git?)

Everything I did is in git repository. (In reply to Russ)

> It could be a nice experiment but as Romain Tartière mentioned earlier
> in the thread we are not suppose to break any existing mono ports. I
> don’t know how to validate all the existing ports against a new release
> (candidate) but I assume it would be done using poudriere.
>

> Carsten

This one I don't really know how to do, ideally tests supplied with mono
should be enough (and realistically, they probably are not), I guess we
could simply install mono built this way on one of those VMs, and then
try to run several of those other ports and see what happens?

Kind regards,
Ivan