Date:      Fri, 16 May 2003 10:29:23 +0900
From:      Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running out of space in /usr (rambling)

Lowell Gilbert explained:

> Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp> writes:

> > (Why doesn't disklabel give out "d" in sequence? I think I read
> > something once, but I don't remember, can't find it in a casual glance
> > through the FAQ.)
>
> 'c' is reserved for the whole disk, for historical reasons.

Knew about c, but when I'm working with disklabel (perhaps just from
sysinstall?) and tell it to add a partition, the labeling automatically
jumps from b to e. Then if I keep adding partitions, it ends up jumping
back from h to d. Not a problem, but it did make me curious.

> > And one more, is the limit of 8 partitions in an fdisk slice every going
> > away?
>
> If I remember correctly, it's just a compile-time constant...

I'll check on that next time. I'm not quite comfortable with compiling
kernels yet, but it looks like freeBSD will give me plenty of
opportunities to get comfortable with it.

Thanks for the comments, Lowell.

--
Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>