Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 2008 00:32:40 -0700
From:      Carl <k0802647@telus.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel S3210SHLC motherboard and FreeBSD 7.0

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 01:37:56AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> 2) BIOS: Thermal monitoring
>
> I should be more precise: I'm referring to things like fan speed
> auto-slowdown or PWM.  These boards often offer numerous methods of
> throttling fans and other features.

I *did* make some BIOS setting changes within the time frame of the
unexpected reset-equals-power-cycle events, but I didn't notice whether
there was a correlation.

As regards getting USB flash thumb drives to boot, a new thumb drive,
lots of reading and experimenting with obscure applications, and I've
successfully got Damn Small Linux to boot with the aid of UNetbootin.
FreeBSD 7.0 still won't boot, but I appear to have stumbled over a
UNetbootin bug that FreeBSD probably can't be blamed for:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/unetbootin/+bug/272219

That unfortunately leaves me still wondering whether the motherboard
and/or that SATA DVD drive are compatible with FreeBSD 7.0 or not.

Can anyone point me to instructions on how to create a FreeBSD 7.0
install USB thumb drive without the aid of UNetbootin? I've found bits
and pieces on the 'net, but nothing complete. Surprising, actually, when
you think about it.

No one else out there with experience combining the Intel S3210SHLC
motherboard and FreeBSD?

Carl                                             / K0802647