Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 2020 12:18:24 -0700
From:      Chris <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        Brandon helsley <brandon.helsley@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Porting Practice

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 00:46:39 +0000 Brandon helsley brandon=2Ehelsley@hotmail=2Ec=
om said

> I have gotten a couple of emails from portscout about ports that need upd=
ated
> and maintained=2E Before I go about updating and maintaining these ports I
> wanted to do some practice on a couple that I use like x11/nvidia-setting=
s=2E I
> have recieved alot of help on the forums and from the documentation, but =
i'm
> still at a loss as to how the diff process works=2E Also, i've gotten stuck=
 at
> a few spots along the way=2E I use svn to checkout a copy of the
> nvidia-settings port which has no maintainer=2E The copy goes into my root
> directory either in a work directory or not=2E After I make the changes to =
the
> files and issue the command=2E=2E=2E
>=20
> MAKE CONFIG:root@machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # make config
> =3D=3D=3D> No options to configure
>=20
> make patch and make configure both work=2E
>=20
> PORTLINT:root@machine17:/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings # portlint
> WARN: Makefile: Consider adding support for a NLS knob to conditionally
> disable gettext support=2E
> 0 fatal errors and 1 warning found=2E
>=20
> So once I get past this point and have succesfully tested the port with
> portlint and poudriere testport, I'm confused as to how I am supposed to
> build the package, and create a suitable diff to patch the port either wi=
th
> svn or diff -u=2E
FWIW this is my basic workflow

svn co --depth empty svn://svn=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/ports/head DEV
svn up --set-depth empty DEV/x11
svn up DEV/x11/nvidia-settings

edit edit edit

make -DBATCH check-plist
make stage-qa
make check-sanity
portlint

all systems are a go

cd DEV/x11

svn diff --ignore-properties > x11_nvidia-settings=2Ediff

open Bugzilla, and attach this svn(1) diff(1)

If nothing else, this will (hopefully) give you a scope of
the overall process tweaking/fixing/adopting a port :-)

HTH!

--Chris