Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:44:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>, Mark Bucciarelli <mark@gaiahost.coop>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gvinum raid5 in production

--- Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Quoting Mark Bucciarelli <mark@gaiahost.coop>:
> > Is anybody using gvinum raid5 in production with 6.1-release?  How is
> > it going?
>
> About the PR's you found I'm not sure of what's a gvinum bug or not of
> them, but at the thing about not checking NULL pointers for g_malloc is
> because when passing the M_WAITOK flag to g_malloc (or kernel malloc
> for instance), it is guaranteed to not return NULL because the flag
> tells malloc to wait for resources to be freed.

As far as I understood GEOM it does not like to sleep in g_up or g_down
threads... So we cannot use M_WAITOK in gv_down()...

I personally do it in my geom_raid5 class (downloadable tar-ball:
http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/geom_raid5.tbz and .../geom_cache.tbz)
different:
I just put the pointer to the bio into a worker queue (that does not need any
malloc's; just bending some pointer attributes) and then in the worker thread I
process those requests...

Maybe we should create a queue for that purpose for gvinum, too?

-Arne