Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:40:44 -0800
From:      "Michael A. Endsley" <mandm@alaska.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /boot/boot0 or boot1 bad?

I did a binary upgrade from 3.5 to 4.3-RELEASE using floppies and ftp.
The upgrade went fine, but I had a bad idea, and decided to upgrade my
sources via cvsup. Here is my present situation/problem:

When booting from HD, I use a boot manager (Win98, OS/2, FreeBSD), and
go to FreeBSD. About 1 second after clicking FreeBSD, there appears a
single line of about 14 characters of gibberish at the bottom left of my
monitor. It doesn't lock-up the keyboard, but I can't get anything to
happen either. The Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys all work.
Anyway, I hit C-A-D, and reboot with the kern.flp disk. As soon as the
"baton" shows, I hit the space bar and type "0:ad(0,a)kernel" and FreeBSD
boots from the HD just fine. Everything is mounted, all programs run, I can
log in as a normal user and root. Everything is there and looks/runs great.
If I understand correctly, /boot/boot0 and /boot/boot1 are the first files
"read". Did I damage one of those files or perhaps a different partition
on my FreeBSD slice is being pointed to to boot?
Can it be repaired?  No, I don't have a back-up... no room to spare :(
BTW- /etc/fstab and ls -l /dev |grep ad0 show the same devices (if that
helps)

TIA,
Mike