Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:16:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dd and cat - Did I miss something?

Hi folks,

I just wanted to copy a data CD. So I thought I'd first read it out. After
I had put the CD into my ATAPI CD-ROM drive, I issued the following
command:

dd if=/dev/acd0a of=cdimage

But it didn't work. I received a message saying "acd0a - Invalid
Argument".

Next, I tried something different, namely:

cat /dev/acd0a | dd of=cdimage

and that did work! Any clues why my first attempt (only using dd and not
cat) failed?

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org