Date:      Sat, 05 Dec 1998 21:37:56 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [LAM]" <listaccount@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions account <question@namodn.com>
Cc:        Bob <bjg@otherspace.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 packages

Nah.. I've noticed this problem, too.  The index appears to load
garbled.  I noticed it when I tried sysinstall over my day old copy on a
FAT drive.  I saw the messy entries and thought I had perhaps corrupted
it when I viewed it in a DOS text editor... So I tried package installs
over ftp (from several different mirrors), and saw the same thing.

I don't recall what package I tried to add, but sysinstall balked on
qt-1.41, saying it couldn't find All/qt-1.41.tgz (both on
ftp.ca.freebsd.org and on my local (now native NFS) mirror).  In both
cases, the exact filename WAS present in the All/ directory.  A quick
text search through the INDEX file revealed that the file wasn't present
in the index.

I ended up running pkg_add right from the All/ directory on my drive.
It finally found the dependent library at that time, and the add worked
fine.

- Ryan

freebsd-questions account wrote:

> Bob -
>
> If you're browsing packages that are on ftp.freebsd.org, why not use the
> http interface http://www.freebsd.org/ports
> ?
>
> Gets updated, and is just an all around nicer interface than sysinstall
> (IMHO) :)
>
> -rob
> ( www.namodn.com )
> ( mailto : robert@namodn.com )
>
> On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Bob wrote:
>
> > Is there a buggie in the 2.2.8 distribution's canned software packages?
> >
> > If I start /stand/sysinstall, and go to "configure installed system/add
> > packaged software" section, and source is ftp.freebsd.org, the menu of
> > available apps seems to be "not right". Most entries are "no description
> > provided", some apps are listed twice, right on top of each other, (the
> > library for pidentd is one example) , the xview3.2.1 stuff wouldn't
> > install, it couldn't find files to satisfy dependancies...  I've used the
> > past few releases of FreeBSD, and that just looks whacked to me. :)

<SNIP>