Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:00:13 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Matraquilla@cs.com, Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID-5 reliability (was: vinum malfunction!)

On Tuesday,  2 January 2001 at 19:33:02 -0500, Tim McMillen wrote:
> On Tuesday January 02, 2001 19:06, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> I note that the BUGS section of the manual page doesn't exist.
>>> There should be a warning to potential users that there are known
>>> problems that can cause the data to become corrupted in some
>>> configurations.
>>
>> It looks as if you have missed it:
>

> 	Hmm.  This bugs section is only in vinum(4), but not in
> vinum(8)

Correct.  Vinum *is* vinum(4).

> I did not even realize vinum(4) existed and it seems others did not
> either because man vinum takes one to vinum(8) Perhaps the bugs
> section could be updated and added to vinum(8)?

No, as the man page says:

vinum(4):       vinum - Logical Volume Manager
vinum(8):       vinum - Logical Volume Manager control program

What we're talking about here is vinum(4), not vinum(8).  On each
page, the SEE ALSO points at the other page.  I can appreciate that
some people miss one of the pages, but that doesn't mean that we
should break the structure of the manual.

Greg