Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:18:46 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS v4

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 08:39:33PM -0500, Dylan Carlson wrote:
> > I know that work is already underway to incorporate this into the Linux
> > kernel.  I'm wondering if there are people within the FreeBSD project who are
> > also working on this.
> >
> > Noteworthy features:  firewall-friendly, secure, less network-intensive, does
> > replication ...
>
> The reference implementation was being developed for Linux and
> OpenBSD, last I heard.  Shouldn't be too hard to port, in theory.

I sent comments to the working group, but didn't bother to
follow whether or not they got in.

My major comment was that all packets with timestamps in them
should have the sending systems' current time, which would let
the time be turned into a locally correct delta, applied to
the current local clock, to get an absolute invariant delta
time.

One of the big problems with the original NFS implementations
was that, lacking this approach, the clock synchronization
requirements were rather tight.

Now that FreeBSD has deemed it necessary to go to 32 bits of
subsecond resolution, the synchronization issues are very
much exacerbated.

Does anyone know if the NFSv4 RFC that finally made it through
has this feature, or if they blew it yet again with the time
stuff?

-- Terry