Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:29:09 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: writing in /dev/kmem

"Md. Ahsan Habib" writes:
>The error shows "Bad Address". I used the address 0xa0000 mentioned in man
>kmem.
>thanks,
>
>--Ahsan

[I tried replying directly, but the mailer at vt.edu doesn't seem to ]
[like me]

OK, the first thing that occurs to me is that 0xa0000 is _not_ a kernel
virtual address. The manpage clearly states that only kernel virtual
addresses can be accessed using /dev/kmem. AFAIK kernel virtual addresses
start at 0x100000, i.e. after the ISA I/O space, however the real value is
buried in ugly macros which are defined in /usr/src/sys/i386/include/pmap.h.

Anyway, try offsetting the addresses with KERNBASE, which is defined in
/usr/src/sys/i386/include/vmparam.h. You'll hve to include a bunch of
other header files to get this to work.

I think that the 0xa0000 example is intended for /dev/mem, which uses
physical rather than virtual addresses.

HTH

--------
Gary Jennejohn