Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 06:57:01 -0700
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

>I am wondering if it is possible to replace it with a fbsd machine?
>The problem I see with this is the connection of the csu/dsu to the
>router -
>it uses some funky block connector to plug into the cisco router.

FreeBSD + ipfilter can do all your routing, packet filtering, PAT/NAT work
just fine, and with more flexibility for interfaces.

The speedbump for this project will be obtaining an HDLC WAN card to talk
to the V.35 interface on the 1600.

Try www.etinc.com (comes with an excellent bandwidth-manager included with
their PCI cards), www.sangamo.com, www.lanmedia.com.  The card will cost
several $100.