Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:56:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Cc:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding png and perl without rebuilding a whole lot of ports twice

On 07/16/2012 21:42, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>:
>
>> Portupgrade and portmanager can do this - I don't know about
>> portmaster. In portupgrade it would be:
>
>> portupgrade -rf perl png
>
>> portmanager automatically builds ports that depend on out of date ports.
>
> I would first need to
>
> portmaster -o lang/perl5.16 lang/perl5.14

I already gave you a process that I know will work for you. If you
choose to ignore that advice, please don't complain if it goes pear-shaped.

> Not sure if category is necessary with portmaster, but portupgrade never worked for me without the category, thus
>
> portupgrade graphics/png would work, but not
> portupgrade png

I think that with portupgrade png\* would work there. portmaster doesn't
require you to use the *, and in fact will strip it off before using its
own internal pattern matching algorithm.

> Then, from UPDATING file, I could do either
>
> portmaster p5-

I specifically recommend not doing that, as you'll end up with stuff
that's mixed between the old and new versions, which can cause problems.

> Maybe I could combine these as
>
> portmaster -r png- -r perl-
>
> Would that work right?

Reading the man page can answer that question for you. :)

Doug

--

    Change is hard.