Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 03:11:17 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable kernels crashes on two machines. WAS: CVSUP woes for

>Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>>
>> After installing 2.2.2 Release, I fetched the stable-src and ports,
>> compiled cvsup port (not statically linked here...) and recompiled the
>> kernel. Then I rebooted, and everything went black. This was done remote...
>> :(  I pinged to check, but it never came up. I went to the box today and it
>> "kept autobooting, running fsck, then autobooting etc.".
>>
>> This was with a PPro 200. I also did the same thing with a 486 dx2/66 at
>> home. I installed Release 222 and cvsup (dynamically linked, but version
>> 15.0) from a CD this time (as opposed to ftp above). This kernel doesn't
>> work either, but not in the same way, and it does give me a few lines of
>> explanation before i dies:
>>
>> rc.i386 configuring syscons: keymap keyrate font8x16 font8x14 font 8x8
>> screensaver
>
>	please remove the screensaver and try again.
>	there were problems with the screensaver recently.
>	please let me know what happens
>jmb

That made it. I guessed it, but forgot to check. silly... thanks!

I'm not sure this accounts for both machines though... I'll check that
tomorrow.

btw, is the screensaver problem fixed now?

regards,
palle

Palle Girgensohn                          Partitur Informationsteknik AB
girgen@partitur.se                               http://www.partitur.se/