Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 19:02:51 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new soundcard, some opinions please

hello all and merry christmass, best wishes for new year.

my question has to do with freebsd and soundcards, i have an old gus (gravis
ultrasound), it still works and is quite happy. i have recently aquired a
pentium machine that will not accept the gus. my soundcard will not physically
fit into any of teh avalable isa slots, maily because of obstrictions like cup
and fan, full parity simm chip sets .. stuff like that.

i've grown used to the odd noises my machine makes, grin, i would also like to
play with the rosegarden package, as well as experiment with 'internet
telephony', my pen friend from canada is blind and recently got a voice over
internet connections as a gift. he is keen to get to talk to me using his
computer.

wel for this and many other reasons (i like to listen to my music cd's) i'd
like to have a soundcard in my new pc. as teh gravis, even teh clone gravis
are seemingly no longer available, i though i'd ask here for pointers, hints,
suggestions for a good replacement, well not a replacement but a gravis
ultrasound compatible (functions and quality sound of sound etc) so that i
could have a caac (computer aided alarm-clock), grin.

any information, suggestions would be most apreciated. as i live in australia,
some details as to what is available by mail-order would be apreciated as well.

regards and best wishes

jonathan, missing my gravis already