Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 21:46:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        gregm@netidea.com, Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Timezone question > HP PCL cmds

Greg Lehey wrote:

> >>      Really Greg... is this a trick question? :) I wouldn't expect
> >> anybody from Microsoft to even know how to turn on a computer... because
> >> that's a hardware problem....:)
> >
> > I've got to say it at the risk of going down in flames. I'm new to
> > FreeBSD and love it. I'm studying C and TCL/TK. (Iove Greg Blacks
> > comments, vitriol and all) and spend all my extreneous computer
> > time on my FreeeBSD machine. BUT... I also have a recording
> > studio and run three MSWin machines. One sound 'card' is full
> > duplex with 10 ins simultaneous with 8 outs. Another accepts
> > S/PDIF from the aformentioned card. The third machine runs
> > sampling software (SSPro ... if you sample you'll love it) and much
> > as I would like to do it all in UNIX I'm not aware of any way I could
> > (I'd love to hear I'm wrong --  I won't invest another fortune just yet).
> > I know a lot of MS's success is due to their dominance and hence
> > support, but still it is there. Anyway ... blah .. blah.. just thought I'd
> > throw that bug in your ear and flame on Johnny, but really ... it's
> > not all bad!
>
> Well, this fits in pretty well with what I wrote in this month's
> Daemon News: http://www.daemonnews.org/199904/d-advocate.html.
> Obviously Microsoft isn't *that* bad; I just keep being surprised
> about what obvious bugs still exist in the world's most expensive
> software.

In your article you talk about HP commands. If you go to
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/eschome.html and enter "laserjet
commands", and search, you will find a number of articles on the
various commands, which could be entered from a Unix program. They
list all of the front panel commands and the corresponding escape
sequences the set the options.
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html