Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:23:40 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <duiker@haggis.nl>
To:        "'BSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Customizing /etc/motd

+> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Colin J. Raven wrote:
+>=20
+> > I'd like to tweak /etc/motd to give ssh users a=20
+> personalized login text.
+>=20
+> 	su root
+> 	..type root password
+> 	vi /etc/motd
Yes! :-)I know how to edit the file, but I'm trying to figure out how to
personalize it on a per-user login basis.

+> One normally does not edit/change the first line with=20
+> "FreeBSD .."
+> as this line is replaced at boot time with the actual=20
+> version number. If
+> you remove this line; then that will not happen.

AH, interesting. Good info thanks. Luckily I didn't have any intention
of removing it, but nevertheless didn't know that Bad Things(tm) would
happen if I did.

Regards,
-Colin