Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:22:30 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bouh <francois.baudens@icam.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with my cdrom drive

Bouh wrote:

> i have a little problem with my cdrom drive in freebsd : i install
> freebsd (3.3) on my second hard drive with my cdrom drive on the first
> IDE controller. Then i put my cdrom drive on the second one and it is no
> more detected. Do i have to do something special for me to see my cdrom
> drive ?
>
> Thanx a lot for the answer, because if i can't mount my cdrom, i can't
> use freebsd.

More information is probably needed. When the CD-ROM is on the secondary
IDE, what else is on the secondary IDE? Which of master/slave is
each device in your system set to? Which controller is each of your
hard disks on, and what are their master/slave settings? If the
CD-ROM is the only device on the secondary IDE, make sure it's set to
"master", I think it won't work if the only device there is set to
"slave". (Apparently it works with Windows so many PCs ship in this
broken configuration though.)

It may also be that you're running a kernel without wdc1, but since you
seem to be new to FreeBSD I'm guessing your still running the generic
kernel so this won't be the problem.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and