Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 95 14:57:36 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more ETXTBSY bugs

> >A lot of what is "common knowledge about VM" is no longer applicable
> >with a unified cache, so this limit might not be as good an idea as
> >it seems to be.
>
>    The algorithms are difficult to get right. John has been advocating that
> pages involved in file I/O should compete with traditional VM pages. I've
> seen reduced performance when doing this in some cases and haven't seen
> any proof of increased performance..so I'm unconvinced.

I have to agree with you.  The locality of reference in both these cases
is not the same locality.  The passing similarity caused by the file
as swap store model is just that, a passing similarity.

I need to take a more in depth look at the code in action; there is some
unused ICE hardware around here that I might be able to leach for a
bit (486, not Pentium).  I suspect that varying LRU list insertion
order to give persistance preference to backing store pages would help
(but be a royal bitch to implement).

I'd like to see the people seeing the thrashing problems add about 16M
of swap without doing any extra apllications and see what happens.  If
the vnode pager is happy, this should be doable with a swap on file.
My immediate suspicion is that the problems would just go away until
the cache was filled again (this time consuming all of swap).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.