Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:03:34 -0800
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        "Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson" <insane@oneinsane.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

At 03:39 PM 1/25/99 -0600, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>Yes, I think that it should exist.
>
>I also recommend a methodology to make it easy for users in
>the future.

Personally, I think the concept of "stable" vs "current" is
easy.  Yes, the current revision of "stable" and "current"
continue to move forward, but "stable" is always the latest
release + patches and current is always what on the HEAD.

>Call the lists "2.2", "3", "HEAD", etc.
> rather than "stable" and "current".

Yiks!...  I'd hate to have to subscribe to 3.1 then 3.2 then
3.3.... and I'd hate it MORE if someone changed my subscriptions
for me.

>On the other end, the 1.x, 2.0, etc. lists can be merged into one
>"UNSUPPORTED" list by merging the lists and playing with the aliases.
>The aliases can be phased out by an auto-responder that reminds to sender
>that the name they are using has been deprecated.

stable has welcomed postings for prior "stable" releases.  Having
multiple lists on fragments the discussions.   Continued discussions
of 2.2-stable on -stable is fine.  You'll always have "that's fixed
in the latest stable" no matter what as most folks don't immediately
update to -stable as the commits hit the repository.

I suggest we just keep the lists/archives the way they are...

	Kurt