Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:33:19 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        lhmwzy <lhmwzy@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs quota question

--E13BgyNx05feLLmH

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 03:30:09AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 12:17:55PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > Turn compression off and retry.
>=20
> Yep, that's the key!
>=20
> # zfs set quota=3D4g storage/home
> # zfs set compression=3Doff storage
> # zfs get compression,quota,mountpoint
> NAME          PROPERTY     VALUE         SOURCE
> storage       compression  off           local
> storage       quota        none          default
> storage       mountpoint   /storage      default
> storage/home  compression  off           inherited from storage
> storage/home  quota        4G            local
> storage/home  mountpoint   /home         local
>=20
> # dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/home/filler bs=3D1g count=3D8
> dd: /home/filler: Disc quota exceeded
> 4+0 records in
> 3+1 records out
> 3306553344 bytes transferred in 62.566567 secs (52848566 bytes/sec)
>=20
> # df -h /home
> Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> storage/home    4.0G    4.0G      0B   100%    /home
>=20
> I had no idea compression could cause this.  A useful feature, but
> obviously can result in misleading results...  :-)

Yeah, ZFS offers a lot, which can create confusion, unfortunately. Do we
limit physical space with quota or only logical (before compression)?
Should we take space consumed by snapshots into account or not? etc.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--E13BgyNx05feLLmH

--E13BgyNx05feLLmH--