Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:33:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alex Nash <nash@Mcs.Net>
To:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Cc:        Firewall Wizards List <firewall-wizards@nfr.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel options for FW?

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Adam Shostack wrote:

> options IPFORWSRCRT=0 //Turn off source routing.

This is the default.  It is controllable via sysctl.

> options IPNOPRIVPORTS //Remove concept of priv'd ports so BIND doesn't
> 		      //need to run as root.

I don't know if there's a good way of doing this, but you could hack
IPPORT_RESERVED in in.h (unfortunately this isn't surrounded by an ifndef,
so you can't just thrown options IPPORT_RESERVED into your kernel config).

> options IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK //Put my FW policy in the kernel.

This is the default for FreeBSD's ipfw.

Alex