Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:37:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.ORG, rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com
Subject:   Re: geom - help ...

Rick C. Petty wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Rick C. Petty wrote:
 > > > Is everybody forgetting about gvinum?
 > >
 > > I _try_ to forget it.  :-)
 >
 > Exactly the type of attitude I predicted.  So let's force everybody who
 > has terabytes in vinum-managed containers to migrate!

That's _not_ what I wrote.  Nowhere in my email did I mention
anything about forcing something on everybody.  I did _not_
write that vinum/gvinum support should be dropped from FreeBSD
In fact I'm all for keeping and even improving it, so people
have a choice.  Having a choice is a good thing, as long as
the code is maintained and doesn't suffer from bitrot.  If
anything is up for removal, I'd vote for removing CCD.

Of course you're free to disagree with what I wrote, but you
should read what I wrote before placing any verbal attacks
that are not justified.

 > I wouldn't say it's at all better, although it was easier to setup just a
 > mirror.  Vinum is a volume manager, so I expect it to be more complex than
 > just setting up a mirror.

The various GEOM classes (mirror, stripe, raid3 etc.) don't
work like vinum or other conventional volume managers, but
still they serve the same purpose.  Just like ZFS, which
also works in a completely different way, but it is also
designed to replace conventional volume managers (Solstice
comes to mind, which wasn't exactly easy to manage either).

The main advantage of GEOM is its flexibility.  You can put
its classes together like Lego bricks, with few commands
that are consistent, easy to remember and well documented
(and also easily scriptable).  The more and larger volumes
you have, the easier it gets.

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.