Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2007 13:46:04 +0200
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Gransden <jeremy.gransden@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: See output of local xterm session on remote ssh session.

On Saturday 02 June 2007, Jeremy Gransden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been searching Google for a few days for this but have not been
> coming up with the correct answer. Then again maybe I am asking the wrong
> question... If I start a process, i.e. compile a kernel, on my desktop, how
> can I then connect to it from my laptop and see the output of that process
> via the ssh session?
>
> thanks,
> Jeremy
screen(1) is the tool for this. You can find it in the ports collection
(sysutils/screen).

For example:
$ screen
$ cd /usr/src; sudo make buildworld
(now press CTRL+A D)

On the other machine, ssh into the desktop
$ screen -r
(press CTRL+A D if you've seen enough)

Also, this will protect the running job from accidental (or purposefully)
closure of the terminal.

HTH,
Pieter de Goeje