Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:39:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to report bugs in ports?

	I've found a number of errors in different ports lately and was
wondering what the best method for reporting them was.  Can anyone give me
a pointer on this?  Specifically, I've found the following bugs and
configuration issues.

- mod_php3 can't compile properly if IMAP support is enabled.  It seems to
be choking on the new c-client system.  Specifically, the c-client code is
now in its own port and this is a dependency.  It used to be dependent
upon imap-uw and apparently the change wasn't handled in sync with each
other.

- mod_php3 and mod_php4 both insert their AddModule and LoadModule lines
in apache.conf inside the <IfDefine SSL> ... </IfDefine> section that
mod_ssl is in.  This occurs when doing a "make install" in either mod_php3
or mod_php4 after installing the apache13-modssl port.

- Cyrus is really hosed for a really dumb reason.  This might just be
ignorance on my part, but I really think that the following two lines need
to be in the /usr/local/etc/imapd.conf file:
sasl_pwcheck_method: pwcheck
sasl_passwd_check: pwcheck
Until I did this, Cyrus would not work.  This was after _hours_ of hunting
through every resource that I could think of.  One of these two lines was
on a Linux HOWTO on the web and the other was in the man page, but the
pwcheck option was not listed anywhere that I looked.  I actually guessed
on that one.  While this might be something that the administrator is
supposed to pick for them-self, it would be nice if they even knew that
those lines existed, let alone are important.

- cyrus-sasl, the authentication layer for Cyrus 1.6.x, won't compile
without "NO_CHECKSUM=yes".  For all I know, this was a bad idea, but the
three accounts that I've tested can authenticate now, so I'm better off
than I was before.  :)

- imap-uw will not compile unless I "make NO_CHECKSUM=yes"

	These are all against a system that was CVSup-ed just last week
from a CD-ROM installed 4.0-RELEASE to 4.1-Stable.  I CVSup-ed the
/usr/src tree, made a new world (I love that phrase ;> ), and CVSup-ed the
/usr/ports tree.  No ports other than the cvsup-bin package were installed
before CVSupping.

	I hope that this helps.  If anyone knows where I should send this
list, please let me know.  I love the reliability of FreeBSD and its ports
collections and have managed to make FreeBSD a corner stone of the network
at my job.  I've even convinced our computer science teacher to discard
CodeWarrior for a mix of FreeBSD and some ports with telnet on all of our
workstations.  (I'm the network admin for a public school district in New
York.)  The least that I can do to re-pay the project is report some
things that I think might be bugs.

						Thanks,
						Jaime