Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:08:46 -0400
From:      Robert Blayzor <rblayzor@inoc.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange NFS Client issue

I ran into rather strange NFS client issue today.  I had a directory on
an NFS mount (client side) appear to have two empty directories in it,
but in fact they were not empty.  The directories on the NetApp and
other NFS clients showed those same directories populated with files.

These files are cloned from other locations using rsync if that makes
any difference.

On the client that showed the strangeness, if I tried to delete the
empty directories "rm -r" returned an error stating "directory not
empty", still to the client I could not see any files in the directory.
 Doing a "du -ks" on the top level dir showed other directories full,
but these two empty.

The only way I could fix the problem was the umount the mount point and
remount it.  After that, the directories looked normal again.

The the directory was mounted using:

filer0:/vol/opt         /mnt/opt        nfs     -T,-L,-b,-i,rw  0   0

Not sure if it's a NFS client side bug, but it sure seems so....

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

YOUR PC's broken and I'VE got a problem?
 -- The BOFH Slogan