Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 07:06:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird piecemeal reads over socketpair() pipe breaks up small writes into even smaller reads.

> When the writer blocks, the reader runs and uses a buggy loop to read
> only the first chunk of input.
>
> On an otherwise idle system, the need_resched() condition seems to be
> true always.  I would have expected the synchronisation provided by the
> sleep(1) to bias need_resched() in the opposite direction.  A reschedule
> has been done, normally just after the previous hardclock() call, just
> before the writer wakes up, so another one should not be done soon
> (until after the next hardclock() call).

Sorry everyone, I'll be away for a week and won't put in my scheduler
fixes until I get back.  Most of the changes are on Freefall in my
home directory.  I hate to be so passive about committing tested code,
but my schedule is such over the last few months that I'm never around
to fix things up if the unexpected happens.

I'm working hard on a proposal that will let me spend some quality time
on this - wish me luck.

Meanwhile, I'm off all the lists.  I'll check e-mail sent to either
dufault@hda.com or dufault@freebsd.org intermittently.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval