Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 00:57:05 -0700
From:      "Sivar" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

| > Ted writes:
| >
| > > Under UNIX the console is a console driver, and a login
| > > process.
| >
| > Under NT the console GUI is a pluggable subsystem (although it is
| > the only such
| > subsystem ever written for NT, as far as I know).
|
| Hmm... coming from someone that's just a "clueless young male on the
| Internet who bash Microsoft gratuitously because it is the fashionable
thing
| to do, or because they are ruled by emotion rather than intellect", you
| should do some research.  I've replaced the GUI in 95, 98 and NT before.
| Little program called LiteStep.  But, I guess you've never heard of such a
| thing.  Also, it's not the only one that's capable of doing this.  But,
| alas, I don't think you'd want to get rid of the "beautiful" GUI
| look-and-feel of your precious Windows NT.  Some of us realize that there
| are better designed GUIs out there and don't care for the "one size fits
| all" mentality from our "friends" in Redmond.

This is the point when a fairly intelligent discussion starts to degrade is
when one party resorts to insults,
light as they might be. Windows and *Nix have ups and downs. People lose
credibility when
they stop making points and starts making sweeping statements with no real
backup.
It's just an OS, and he does have some good points, no matter how much NT
sucks or not
for certain tasks.

| > > The command-line Windows UI is not used by 99.999%
| > > of all Windows programs out there ...
| >
| > Rather like the X Windows interface in UNIX, in other words.
|
| WHAT?  What planet are you on?!?  1/10000 th of the software for "Unix" is
| written for X Windows?  Uh-huh... and if you believe that, I'll make you a
| wonderful deal on some ocean front property in Montana.

He may have been referring to software specifically designed for
administering servers,
of which I would say there is probably more for the console than for X.
1/10000 was probably
meant as an exaggeration (which also causes a loss of credibility if used
too often)

| > I use it every day, as do many other engineers of whom I know.
| > Some things are
| > easier to do as commands; and some things can't be done any other way.
|
| When simple things can be done easier with a command line as opposed to a
| GUI, what does that say about an OS that relies on that GUI?  I'd like to
| thank you for just shooting yourself in the foot there.

Note that NT does have a (albeit limited) CLI.

NT has uses. I am writing this from NT, which you probably know because
Outlook is sure
to screw up the "pure text" setting that I specified for it. :-(