Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:36:14 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        FreeBSD-rc@yahoogroups.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: [FreeBSD-rc] Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -current

Scott Long wrote:

> Adding a big "if [ "${rc_ng}" = "NO" ]; then echo "rc_ng=NO is
> deprecated, unsupported, and will go away in the next release"; fi" to
> the scripts allows us to cover our rears,

This is a good idea, but I would go even further.

At the top of every rcOG script, I would put

echo "<name of script>:  This script is deprecated and should not be used."
echo "<name of script>:  'man rc' for more information."

The transition period starts when the
old scripts start whining.  Do this today!  ;-)

The real problem with just axing rcOG is
that people won't know what happened,
nor where to look for information about
what replaced it.

A message like the above will serve as