Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:42:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   While we're on the subject...

OpenBSD has the locale issue resolved reliably already.

OpenBSD supports issetugid().

Thus, I can tell, even when I'm deep in libc, if I was called from an SUID
program. I can do that because execve() flipped a bit in my proc structure
when it noticed that I was SUID.

This is a good thing.

Meaningless UID checks probably aren't. Anything could have happened to my
creds, depending on the programmer calling the library, and I have no way
of determining what happened.

What's holding FreeBSD up on supporting issetugid()?

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"I'm standing alone, I'm watching you all, I'm seeing you sinking."