Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:45:34 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        eric <eric@dsns.csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Illegal instruction -- core dumped

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, eric wrote:

>   When I was running nessus in xwindow , the process is break out with
>   an error message :
>      Illegal instruction -- core dumped
>
>   What does it mean ?

Probably there's an error in the nessus code which causes the program
counter to reference a memory address which stores data and not an
instruction. Thus the processor gets an invalid machine instruction which
can't be executed.

Usually this happens when accidently overflowing internal data structures
during program execution.

This is a more general explanation. I can't help you in this special case
(I don't know nessus).

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg