Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:53:58 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, "Thomas P. Holmes [ Systems ]" <tholmes@thebiz.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk slices

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 03:36:16PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> >
> > Thomas P. Holmes [ Systems ] writes:
> >  > Yes my box boots and I was able to recompile the kernel.
> >  >
> >  > The df through me when I saw
> >  >
> >  > da0a
> >  > da0e
> >  >
> >  > and not
> >  >
> >  > da0s1a
> >  > da0s1e
> >  >
> >  >

> > The alpha port doesn't use slices (fdisk partitions) because the SRM
> > console doesn't understand them & it cannot boot from them.  The alpha
> > port has never used slices.
> >
> > Drew
>
> SRM doesn't understand disklabel partitions either.  All that SRM cares about
> is the bootblock checksum, and that is it.

And that is of course the Only True Way.

> We really could implement fdisk partitions, but it would be in a fashion that
> is not compatable with i386.

I noticed that my AlphaPC64 had fdisk partitions (I think) from RedHat Linux
that made the 4.4-stable installer puke. Meaning, it did not see a disk.
There was a lot of moaning and groaning on the console about da0s# having
warped start/end blocks.

After I wiped the disk (using NetBSD ;-) the 4.4-stable installer was more
than happy to install on it.

FWIW

Wilko