Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:06:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime <jaime@wizvax.net>
To:        Charles Williams <cr1148@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Charles Williams wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
>     I have a computer running Windows 98.  I have installed FreeBSD
> 3.0 to my second hard drive.  Whenever I try to boot and start the
> kernel, I get this error message at the end of the scan for kernel
> devices: "error 6: panic: cannot mount root (2)"  then my system
> restarts.  I have never run FreeBSD since I've installed it.  Please
> send me all the info you have on fixing this problem.  I am eager to
> run FreeBSD.
>
> -cr1148
>
> P.S.
>     Please reply at cr1148@earthlink.net

	Is the "second drive" that you refer to on the second EIDE chain?
If so, at the boot prompt type "1:wd(2,a)kernel" or something similar.  I
had that problem when I installed 3.0 to the primary hard drive on the
second chain.  Even re-compiling the kernel with:

config kernel root on wd2

	...didn't help me.  Perhaps this is a bug?

	You may wish to reinstall your system to wd0 or wd1 just to avoid
this need.  In my case, it was my job's new mail and web server.  Since I
wanted it to automatically recover after a kernel panic, I had to
reinstall the system and move the slice which contained "/" (a.k.a. the
"root" from your error) to wd0.  The rest of my files went on wd2, so it
wasn't too big of a deal.

						Good luck,
						Jaime