Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:29:57 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: usage of new AIO calls

> > > RAW disk I/O is an example.
> >
> > But, what is it?  Raw disk I/O is an example of many things unrelated to
> > VCHR, so telling me an example of something still doesn't tell me what a
> > VCHR device is.
>
> I am surprised, do you really not know?

I really don't know what VCHR is.  I know what raw disk I/O is, but raw
disk I/O is an example of many things, so I want to know precisely what
VCHR is, not what are examples of it.

Example, if you didn't know what Nate's new acronym 'DSM' was, and I
said "floppy disks are an example of it", you still wouldn't know what
it was.  It could be a form-factor, a type of controller, or any number
of things.  Giving an example of something that is 'VCHR' doesn't
explain what VCHR is.

Nate