Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 19:36:55 -0500
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format

> Looks wrong; the parameter -d is "-d directory", explained
> as "Store databases into specified destination directory
> instead of /etc."
>
> The coorect command should be
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0# pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd
>
> See "man pwd_mkdb" for details.
>
>> but it fails with a pam_auth() or I can't remember exact error
>> message, I will need to run command and post the exact error message
>> here :(
>
> Some file access error would be possible.
>
>> Either do this, or install a desktop which does not depend on
>> devel/dbus package(s).
>
> The dbus port is often used to "enhance functionality", but
> it's not entirely required to run KDE, Gnome or Xfce (to name
> the "big three"). Just make sure X is compiled without it.
> Maybe some functionality might be missing, but if you don't
> depend on it... as for just automount, FreeBSD has a native
> solution that worked even before HAL and DBUS.
>
> --

Polytropon & all,

I have run
# vipw /etc/master.passwd

and removed the offending line #25.  Then I ran the command
# pwd_mkdb -d /etc/master.passwd

and it succeeded!  :)  Then I readded the user with adduser command
and all is well.  I got back my xfce desktop and it is working.
Thanks to special folks like you and others who are very helpful.  I
was getting desperate and was about to throw the towel and reinstall
FreeBSD on this machine.  I had old backups from last year, but all
the new changes would have been a waste to get back from those.

Best Regards,

Antonio