Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:01:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Justin C. Sherrill" <jsherri1@rochester.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   moving /var

Justin C. Sherrill writes:
> What should I be doing to get /usr/var to be only a directory in the (much
> larger) /var, without mangling my computer again?

Shut down to single user mode (just to make sure nothing muck with
/usr/var while you're mucking with it), then do the standard thing one
does to move a directory full of stuff:

# mkdr /var/usr
# (cd /usr/var; tar cf - .) | (cd /var/usr; tar xpf -)
# rm -rf /usr/var

And finally provide a symlink so that old programs can find the new
location:

# ln -s /var/usr /usr/var

However, I note that my -current system doesn't have a /usr/var, nor
does the hier man page talk about it. You might check what's in it to
see if you really need it.

	<mike