Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 95 10:14:10 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        dave@odyssey.ucc.ie (David B. O'Byrne)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: REQUEST: is there a udp equivalent to 'socks' for FreeBSD 1.x ?

> I read the code and they mention udp-relay for the equivalent functionality
> for udp packets.
>
> I downloaded and tried building this but am blocked as it needs 'poll.h'
> whatever that is !
>
> has anyone ported it/ know if its impossible/have an alternative ?

The poll() callis the System 5 version of select().  It allows you to
check if input is pending on a set of multiple descriptors, and if not,
go on to other things (or wait until it is pending).

This keeps you from issueing a blocking read on an fd where I/O is not
present and having I/O become available elsewhere meanwhile and have
to wait.

If you reformatted the argument list to poll() so it looked like what
select() needed, then you would probably have a working program.  Linux
also wants select(0, so it would have a wide audience.

Note that if the poll() is being used to provide a timeout for no
input after a certain period of time instead of simply blocking until
data is available on one descriptor or another, that timeout in poll()
is in 10ms increments; you will have to adjust the select() timeout
arguments accordingly.

Nore also that the man page for select() says that the time remaining
in a timeout may be updated so that it can't be reused without being
reinitialized in potential future implementations.  Well, Linux does
update the structure contents, so make sure you reinit any timeouts
each time you call select().

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---