Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:16:51 -0700
From:      Joseph Olatt <joji@eskimo.com>
To:        Brian <kansascity_guy2005@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xsetroot: Unable to open display" xset: Unable to open display"

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:18:50AM -0700, Brian wrote:
> I insatlled FreeBSD 6.0 BETA 5 with Xwindows the newst X.org and Server with KDE 3. Whne I goto Command line and do this # exec startxkde I get this xsetroot: Unable to open display" xset: Unable to open display" and cannot connect to X-Server what is thet matter. I have The IBM ThinkPad T43 ATI moble 300.

Try the following:
1. In your home directory create a file called ".xinitrc"
2. In ".xinitrc" place the following line:

exec startkde

3. Save and close the file and then go to the command line and
   type "startx"

Note: It is not a good idea to be running as "root". Create an account
for yourself and log in using that account. Switch user to root whenever
you need to using "su" (see: man su)