Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 11:08:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Matrox Meteor Video Capture Card Driver

> On Aug 23, 10:37, Jim Lowe wrote:
> } Subject: Re: Matrox Meteor Video Capture Card Driver
> } > From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
>
> } I tried lowering the PCI latency timer from 80 to 40, then to 20, then 1,
> } then 0.  It helped me get a few frames at 640x480 before the machine
> } hung.  I also tried disabling the cpu to pci burst mode.
>
> It takes some 10 cycles to arbitrate for the PCI bus
> and to send the first data word. Numbers less than
> 10 (decimal) are not too useful for this reason.

Arbitration cycle counts occur _after_ latency timer expire.  Numbers lower
than 10 do help (but should not be need unless someone has left a fifo
out of a high data rate card).

A PCI latency timer of 0 says if someone says they would like to get on
the bus and I am on the bus I get off _NOW_.

Jim, when we talked on the phone the other
day you said this board had a bunch of fifo's on it, how deep are they?
Can you program depth and bus requests thresholds?

> Is there any error message or other fault indication
> than the system freezing ?
>
> } I have been running the meteor in a machine with and adaptec controller
> } for 5 days and it never hung.  I am still not sure why the machine
> } hangs with the ncr controller.
>
> I take it the Adaptec above is an 2940 ?
>
> Could you please try having "ncrconsole -v -p 1"
> run in another window. Watch the "pre" and "post"
> times, which account for the time to initiate a
> transfer and to retrieve the SCSI status.
>
> The lower limits for these numbers are the NCR and
> disk drive SCSI overhead. The command overhead of
> the NCR depends on its instruction execution rate
> (usually in the low MIPS range).
>
> Do you have a NCR 53c815 or 825 to compare the 810
> results with ?
>
> One of the differences between the 8x0 and 8x5 is
> the reading of instructions in burst mode, which
> might help.

If he ran this is Georges box it has an 825 in it.