Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 22:02:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Burden <brucegb@realtime.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 config.

> how should I config X11 on a ATI Xpert 99, 8M with a Packard bell PB 8528 SVG monitor?

	Your monitor manual should list the Horizontal Sync rate (aka
   line frequency) as a range expressed in kHz, and the Vertical Sync
   rate (aka refresh frequency) in Hz. Enter those ranges (or, if no
   other option, numbres) when XF86Config/XF86Setup asks for them. For
   the video card, you need do nothing more than find the correct driver
   for them (it might be SVGA, I don't know). Everything else about the
   video card should be probed and configured automatically.

	After that, you probably need to fiddle with XF86Config/XF86Setup
   to get your window centered in the screen, sized correctly, etc. Then
   enter those numbers as a "mode" for your monitor. An example of a
   mode is:

ModeLine     "1280x1024" 181.75 1280 1400 1528 1768 1024 1031 1046 1104 -hsync -vsync

   But I wouldn't recommend you use this one. Overdriving the monitor is
   bad!

	Whether you use XF86Config or XF86Setup shouldn't really matter.

								Bruce