Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:45:53 -0500
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xf86-video-ati 6.14.0 crashes System

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 15:22, kamikaze@ wrote:
> On 27/02/2011 23:05, David Demelier wrote:

>>> Also reported by me for the ATI Radeon RV370 X300 SE and somebody
>>> else for a differently branded card with the same chip.

>>> Yup.
>>>
>>> As a workaround, install the version 6.13 driver.  A separate port
>>> has been created for it.
>>>
>>> # portupgrade -o x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati613 xf86-video-ati
>>>

>> That's sad, yet another panic :(. This time that's me who is lucky. I've
>> got a radeon 4330 and it's working absolutely fine.
>>

> Just to put this thread into context, the new driver improves the
> situation for some people, of course you don't see them complaining
> here.

In light of this just for testament, it has improved the performance of my
Radeon 9700 Pro (R300).

> My machine has 2 ATI cards, one onboard (HD4200) and one in the PCIE
> slot (HD5770). The new driver allows me to switch back to the console
> when using the HD5770.

Just one card here in the AGP slot of this old mother board. Some tweaking
that I had to do in order to get it to behave was switch it to PCI mode,
and a few other things listed here:

Option	"DMAForXv"	"off"
Option	"BusType"	"PCI"
Option	"AccelMethod"	"XAA"
Option	"DynamicPM"	"on"
Option	"Int10"		"on"
Option	"DRI"		"off"
Option	"RenderAccel"	"on"

Keep in mind though that this is a hacked up machine with a new video card
in even older hardware so settings mentioned here will rarely match new
machines with equally new hardware.

> In conjunction with the Xorg upgrade a reproducible panic with certain
> combinations of BIOS and xorg.conf configurations disappeared.
> These combinations still don't work, but instead of panicking the
> system, the Xorg process can be killed and the xorg.conf can be
> changed to a working configuration without a reboot or risk of
> data loss.

No panics here because of the driver or new X.org but until the settings
above were put into place and after a few thousand redraws of a browser on
this system I was left to hit the power button and wait for watchdog to
kick in and shut the system down because a frozen non responsive screen.

All is well now. Thanks for the upgrades! nice job to all!

Regards,

- --

  jhell