Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 95 11:52:43 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  New error encountered with cpio while building root.flp

> Now I can think of some more places: for `cpio -i', 32-bit rdevs in the
> input may be silently truncated if ints or rdevs in the target system
> are less than 32 bits.  I think there are similar bugs in nfs.

The "bug" is that device file systems should be accessed locally through
devfs only for BSD-to-BSD and that device nodes are an antiquated concept
that should be present only fodiskless support of legacy systems.

If there's going to be a hatchet-job on minor numbers, then it ought to
be done all the way instead of half-heartedly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.