Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 11:19:27 +1000
From:      chris <death@southcom.com.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network failure & random "vr0: Watchdog timeout"

At 15:45 5/05/2000 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

>On Fri, 05 May 2000 10:49:19 +1000, chris wrote:
>
> > I have a D-Link DFE530TX NIC and have not had any troubles at all for many
> > many months before the upgrade. I am using 4.0-STABLE. The box is
> connected
> > to an MSI K7 Pro, Athlon 600, 256MB RAM, D-Link DFE530TX running
> Windows 2k
> > Pro.
>
>Cabling problem?

Nope.. I just downgraded to 3.4-STABLE - works like a dream. The problem
was posted on freebsd-bugs ("kern/17965") but i just popped in here to see
if it were fixed (i make world'd 4.0-STABLE + made a new kernel 2 days ago
and it was still broken) and to perhaps offer some clues as to why it was
happening. I would've stuck with 4.0-STABLE but basically the network was
dying whenever i tried to anything more than just telnet. ftpd, samba, and
squid would basically die much the moment the connection/transfer started.

So...

3.4-STABLE + Shuttle HOT-541 motherboard = fine
3.4-STABLE + AOpen AX59 Pro = fine
4.0-STABLE + Shuttle HOT-541 = fine
4.0-STABLE + AOpen AX59 Pro = broken

Must be something wrong with that miibus thing or they broke the vr driver
somewhere along the lines.

I have a strange feeling now that i've gone back to 3.4 that there was a
way to use vr0 without the miibus under 4.0.. Is there?

Cheers

   Chris