Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:51:01 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	My take on this is  that the more ideas we have, the better off
> 	the entire effort.   I can't see a problem for at least 5 years
> 	--probably more--.   So it would help (me at least) if you would
> 	detail outline the troubles you see down the road  and what your
> 	solutions are.
The problems are now! As I have stated previously, CTM services are having to
be pruned; Mirrors have dropped the scope of their distribution or dropped out
entirely. I'm sure that other would-be participants have not come forward
because the they cannot dedicate the resources.

On the personal side, I know a number of newcomers who have been unwilling to
give our ports system a try because they are unwilling to dedicate the
requisite space to get started.

I have no idea how to measure these lost opportunities.

<soapbox>
FreeBSD needs more vocal followers. If we keep turning away the newcomers, we
will remain an insignificant minority.
So far, the group has made some progress in becoming less uninviting the those
who have less than total immersion in the guts of things. However, there is
still a wide gap between knowing nothing and total immersion.
We need to help place "stepping stones" in the gap.
</soapbox>

--
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET