Date:      28 Jul 2002 01:04:21 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how is the GNOME 2 package these days?

--=-OqGiCpS1kfSfpIKu8vgT

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 23:41, walt wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > --=3D-4HhY0Gc5rer38k27APgt
> >=20
> > On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 22:07, John Reynolds wrote:
> >=20
> >>Hi -ports, I was reconfiguring my laptop this afternoon and wanted to
> >>blow away GNOME 1.4 and try GNOME 2...
>=20
> Everything on -stable works well for me.  (I don't use gdm anyway.)
> However, the last time I compiled gnumeric, several weeks ago, it still
> had some dependencies on something in 1.4 so I couldn't delete everything=
.
> If you don't use gnumeric then you probably can delete 1.4.

Right now, if you want a good collection of apps, you will still need
some 1.4.1 bits.  The GNOMENG project is trying to ensure that compiling
those bits won't overwrite your GNOME 2.0 desktop.  I think we've taken
care of the entire GNOME 1.4.1 fifth toe.

>=20
> > Things are good.  I have two GNOME 2.0 test machines, and I recently di=
> > a friend's machine on GNOME 2.0, and so far, no big problems...
>=20
> Have you tried it on -current?  Most everything seems to be working OK fo=
> me except gnome-session which crashes everytime I start it.  Gnome-panel
> and any other gnome app I've tried work fine, though, including nautilus.

I'm still running 1.4.1 on my -CURRENT machine.  However, sobomax runs
GNOME 2.0 on -CURRENT I think.  If you're seeing crashes in
gnome-session, you might try removing all your X fonts directories, then
reinstall the 4.2.0 fonts.  This fixed some other users' problems in the
past after they upgraded from X 4.1.x.

Joe

>=20
>=20