Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 09:28:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Possible to block ARP?

>     I'm trying to make my firewall totally invisible to certain
> machines on my network.  The only thing I can't seem to get rid of is
> its entry in the ARP tables when someone tries to pings its IP
> address.  Is this possible?

Do you have access to the machine in question?  If so, you can 'add' a
permanent fake-ARP entry on that box, which would be easier than trying
to add a kernel hack to avoid having it's ARP entry published.

Find an ethernet address of a machine that doesn't exist on your network
(feel free to use this one '00:00:c0:50:b9:0a') and tell the machines
you don't want to have access to your firewall that this is the entry
for that machine.

ie;

# arp -s firewall.brian.tao 00:00:c0:50:b9:0a pub
# ping firewall.brian.tao
[ Nothing ]

If you don't have access to those machines, then there's no easy way of
'selectively' responding to ARP requests depending on the originator.

Nate