Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 17:23:47 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org, isdn@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent interface/routing changes breaks on-demand PPP (+sppp)

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 04:13:27PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On  2 Apr, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>
> > OK, we fixed the "ifconfig down" case already.  The attached patch alters
> > inet routing code so that it does not delete routes with the "default"
> > source address of 0.0.0.0; ip_output() will take care of choosing the
> > right address.  Please let me know if it works for you.
>
> I reverted your "#if 0" patch (which worked for me) and applied this
> patch: no, didn't works, the route vanishes.

Nope, you should not have been reverting the "#if 0" patch, you should
have used both.

The "#if 0" patch, like you called it, fixed the case when the route
disappeared on ``ifconfig down''.  Right?

If I understood you correctly, the route still disappeared after a
new IP address was negotiated with the peer.  The last patch is a
special hack for routes with the "default" (0.0.0.0) address; the
routing code will not delete such routes.  Or did I misunderstood
something, and negotiated IP address is added as an alias address
to an interface?  How does the ``ifconfig'' output looks after
the IP address is negotiated?  (If the new address is an alias
address, then the second patch is not required.)

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,