Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 02:04:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The Unofficial AudioPCI/PCI64 Support Page

> The Vibra128 (which is PCI) uses the Ensoniq chip, but I'm not so sure
> the PCI128 does.

Walter Lord has set up (and still maintains) a home page when the
Ensoniq Audio PCI came out:

    http://www.netexcite.com/audiopci/index.html

You find lots of drivers, the 8 MB wave table sets for the Windows driver
and other useful information there.

Wish we could use that wave tables for a midi device..

To make a long story short. The original Ensoniq Audio PCI card used
the ES1370 chip (PCI & control) and the AK4531 codec for AD/DA.

Later they made Audio PCI cards with the ES1371 chip. This one seems
to be able to use lots of different codecs (that is where the driver
fun comes in) that comply to some Intel spec (AC 97), among them
the AK4540.

All this time, Ensoniq also sold their chips to OEMS, who in turn might
have used the same codec or even other stuff.

Then Creative came up and bought Ensoniq to get some decent PCI
card. The PCI 128 seems to be more or less the same like the Audio
PCI (I am not 100% sure, because the latest greatest Win drivers
do not work for me anymore), the PCI 64 is reported to have at
least a lesser quality code.

And more fun: recently people reported an ES1374 chip - I have
no clue yet where this one is different.

Specs for ES1370 and ES1371:

   http://www.ensoniq.com/multimedia/semi_html/index.htm

Specs for Ashai Kasei AK4531 and AK4543:

    http://www.akm.com/Text/pdflist.html
    http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/english/p_i/pdf/EK4351.pdf
    http://www.akm.com/pdf/4543.pdf

Specs for Audio Codec '97: