Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:07:56 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Server using your IP & FTP in Root

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 04:07:29PM -0600, Grant Cooper wrote:
> 1. I had a thought, if an e-mail address lets say, grant@MYDOMAIN.COM, looks
> up a DNS to find the proper location of MYDOMAIN and then send an e-mail  to
> that address. Is it possible to set up and e-mail, grant@205.206.103.1 and
> by pass the DNS? I thought it would be fun to play with a Mail Server before
> I try the real thing.

I believe you can use <grant@[205.206.103.1]> - note the square
brackets.  This will probably only work sometimes - it depends on the
config on the mail server at that IP address.  I'm only just starting out
as a mail admin, so don't have any real idea how many people don't
allow this sort of connection.  The default Exim configure file says:

#  ... The RFCs still require this form, but it makes
# little sense to permit mail to be sent to specific hosts by their IP address
# in the modern Internet, and this ancient format has been used by those
# seeking to abuse hosts by using them for unwanted relaying.

> What FreeBSD tool is the best to use with an Apache server?

Er, don't understand the question...  Tool to do what?

> 2. when I attempt to ftp from root I get" 530 User root access denied."
> Where do I look up these error values. Everyone else can log on? I don't
> know what I did which isn't good for security.

I bet "root" is mentioned in your /etc/ftpusers file, eh?  It lists user
names that are NOT allowed to connect to the FTP service.  Leaving root
in this list is a good idea - for at least two reasons.  FTP passwords
are passed in cleartext on the wire, so can be easily sniffed.  This is
bad.  It's very bad indeed if it leads to your root password being
discovered.  Also, for the same reason it's a bad idea to log in and
work as root - it is all too easy with an innocuous-looking typo to
wreck your system.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \