Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2020 23:45:06 +0100
From:      Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com>
To:        John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KLD zfs.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch

> On 9 Dec 2020, at 3:48, John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net> wrote:
>=20
>> I had to copy over several files from /etc and /usr/local/etc and =
re-installed the most important packages. This was admittedly a bit =
messy, it is possible that I forgot to copy something over.
>> (Originally my intention was to dd the contents of the spinning disk =
over, but apparently that disk has a few wonky sectors, dd failed after =
a few device timeouts)
>=20
>  ... so, no guarantee that things are totally sane.
>=20
> The "sane" we're looking for is how you can presumably be booting a =
kernel
> located at /boot/kernel/kernel and not have it match the kernel =
modules
> found under /boot/kernel.

(...)

> What I have built in my source tree is the kernel/zfs module I'd =
expect:
>=20
> 	# md5 -r /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC/kernel =
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/z=
fs.ko /boot/kernel/kernel /boot/kernel/zfs.ko | sort
> 	941ab52d075e444da6eea7fb56213e10 /boot/kernel/kernel
> 	941ab52d075e444da6eea7fb56213e10 =
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC/kernel
> 	97d4e0c8ffed1f75e924bf8768a95ff1 /boot/kernel/zfs.ko
> 	97d4e0c8ffed1f75e924bf8768a95ff1 =
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/z=
fs.ko
>=20
> What are you seeing after your installkernel equivalent?

It turns out that I was being fooled by the BIOS. Even though I selected =
the device that this kernel and modules were on as the device to boot =
from, the actual kernel was still coming from the old spinning disk!

It would probably have taken me significantly longer to figure that out =
without your hints, as I was trying to solve the wrong problem. So =
thanks a lot for that. Having things to verify was a tremendous help.

I used the opportunity to switch to EFI booting, which took me the =
better part of the evening, but that's working now and booting the =
correct kernel. It=E2=80=99s even booting into a 1280x720 resolution =
with the help of the drm-devel-kmod.

The next challenge is getting Xorg to run on this Navi-10 GPU; so far I =
get stuck with "[KMS] drm report modesetting isn't supported=E2=80=9D.

> Your hashes won't match mine due to non-reproducible build.
>=20
> I'd make sure you don't have anything in /boot/modules or otherwise =
load any
> extra modules until sanity is restored (just to reduce random =
variables).

Ah yes, I wasn=E2=80=99t aware of /boot/modules. Last time I used =
CURRENT, modules were still in the kernel directory. Hence, that was =
also where I pointed kldload to to test my modules, which explains part =
of the confusion (and there=E2=80=99s no modules.old=E2=80=A6).

Alban Hertroys
--
There is always an exception to always.